All information presented on this website (especially any do-it-yourself instructions) is given without any acceptance of liability for any damage or any injury howsoever caused.

Always consider your SAFETY FIRST!


What is left to make

How it should work !!

The big parcel

List of materials


Crank shaft

Cylinder liner


Small parts 1

Small parts 2

Lower casting


Upper casting

Cylinder head

Ignition spark





Assembly 1

Assembly 2

Assembly 3

Assembly 4

Problems resolved & modifications

A stand for the engine

Running the engine

Click on the image to link to the supplier


This all started after a visit to the Bredgar and Wormshill Light Railway on 5th September 2010.

I saw the row of stationary engines, which I had seen several times before, and engaged into conversation with the owner of the kindling wood chopping machine powered by a stationary engine.

He recommended that I should have a look at the magazine called "Stationary Engine Magazine". So I searched the web and found the web site and ordered a copy of the magazine.

The magazine soon arrived. On nearly the last page I saw the advert shown adjacent for "The Economy" stationary engine which is a half full sized engine and based upon a "Sparta" Economy 1½ HP Model "E" so the model should produce about 0.2HP. My research has shown that the Economy engines were built by Hercules and sold by Sears & Roebuck. They were originally built by the Holms Machine Works in Sparta, Michigan. They were built in Sparta, USA from 1910 until late 1913.

I made enquiries and had very rapid responses to my emails. I decided to sell one of my G Scale steam locomotives to fund the new engine. With the loco sold I ordered, on 22nd September 2010, the castings, the finished piston rings, gears and a spark plug. On Wednesday 29th September 2010 it all arrived - excellent service from the supplier.

However it is sad that the plans do not include any building/assembly instructions so the assembly sections on the web site will be as full as I can make them to help  other builders. I understand that the supplier is proposing to do a book but its still on the "to-do" list (as at 6th December 2010)!

24th November 2010 The engine ran properly ( well nearly fully properly hit and miss and a few minor items still to sort out) for the first time on

11th December 2010 This time the engine started much more easily and the Hit & Miss action operated but the crank is showing fatigue and the big end has a knock !!!! Still is it more interesting than it running perfectly and nothing to do !!!

14th December 2010 With the flywheels balanced the engine ran much more smoothly, the speed control operated well infact a very good run.

When I went to machine the flywheel I found that the castings were about 10.7" and thus I could not fit them into the chuck of my Boxford ME10 lathe which had a swing of 5". Had the lathe been a "gap bed lathe" then may be I could have fitted the flywheels directly to the chuck. However as my lathe was very old, bought in about 1983 I decided to do a small modification. So out with the angle grinder and I cut away from the lathe bed just sufficient so that I could machine the flywheel in the formed "gap". For more of the story click here.