Building a Polly VI locomotive from a kit

Kit 2

Kit 1 Kit 2 Kit 3 Kit 4 Kit 5 Kit 6

Kit 7 Kit 8 Kit 9 Kit 10 Kit 11 Kit 12

With Kits 2 3 4 5 6 7 and  8 on order whilst awaiting delivery I have seen another build web site for a Polly V 

Two large heavy parcels arrived on  Friday 5th December 2014 and unpacking commenced and the photos shows what each layer revealed.

The actual packaging was superb.

parcel 1
parcel 2
parcel 3
parcel 4
parcel 5
parcel 6
parcel 7
6th December 2014

Well done to Polly Models for fabricating so many kits since my original order.
The first job to achieve is to carefully check through the parts list and put the parts in the appropriate kit sections.
6th December 2014

Kit 2 has the following parts

6 Axle Boxes (already fitted)
Front Axle
(Part no. 62 with 1 dimple) (already fitted)
Axle pump Eccentric
(already fitted)
6 Driving Wheels
(already fitted)
4 Main Springs
4 Eccentrics
(already fitted)
 Driving Axle (Part no. 61 with 4 dimples)
(already fitted)
4 Spring Retainers
2 Long crank pins
(already fitted)
6 spring adjusters
2 Rear Springs
Trailing Axle (Part no. 61A no dimples)
(already fitted)
Keyway Material
4 short crank pins
(already fitted)
 6 Axle keeps
Various bolts and nuts
kit 2
7th December 2014

As you can see from the picture above the wheel came assembled so I did not have to pre assemble to ensure wheels / pins etc go right up to their shoulders nor remove any burs from wheels, eccentrics bores nor tapped holes.
So I was able to make a start by removing sharp flashing from the rear of the spokes and then onto degreasing in preparation for painting the wheels etc using the colour required for the finished engine.
As I also have Kit 3 the pony wheels will also be painted.

I commandeered from the workshop my drill stand, made up a lower pivot part and suitable one for the drill chuck.

The wheel set can easily be put into the set up by loosening the chuck and then lifting the pivot piece and lowering it through a spoke hole.

The wheel set is then free to rotate and easy to turn over when one side is completed.

wheels painting 1
The pivot parts used in the drill stand pivot parts for drill stand
The photo shows one side painted. The use of the support proved very useful and will be used again for all the other coats of paint so was well worth the time to make up the base pivot and the top pivot  paint a early this morning.

The surpport was not an original idea of mine but came from the book "How (not) to paint a locomotive".
wheel painting 2
The photo shows that I used more Meccano as a quick piece of track upon which to have the wheels whilst the primer coat dries over night.
wheel painting 3
These are the additional parts for Kit 2 that were in the plastic bag.
small parts kit 2
The photo shows the axle box keepers painted with the primer painting the axle box keepers
8th December 2014

The photo shows the wheel set with a coat of the Blue Undercoat. Another will be needed before a top coat. The painting stand shown earlier is still very effective.

under caot on wheel set
9th December 2014

Today the first of the two top coats goes on.

It is just a little darker than the blue undercoat but the photo makes it look lighter!
top coat of paint
The axle box keepers receive their undercoat of black axle box keepers undercoated
12th December 2014

Several days of paint hardening had to take place before I could attempt the lining out of the wheels.

The photo show the wheel which has been lined with the lining tool held at the side showing the guide which had to be pressed against the tread of the wheel to form a uniform line. #several attempts had to be made initially to make it right and I am pleased with the effort.
lining wheel
Here you can see the completed wheel set.

It must dry overnight at lease to prevent a mishap with the lining paint before I can complete the assembly of the wheels onto the frames.
lined out wheel
This is the Beugler Pinstriping Tool, and American invention but I do like it simplicity even if cleaning up uses a lot of clean white sprint. lining tool
13th December 2014

The wheels are assembled onto the frames. Each of the horn blocks had to be eased out a little to take the fit if the axle boxes but that was achived by a few files strocks each block.

Then the Spring Adjusters were fitted to all the axle blocks.
This photo shows how I compressed the springs and then screwed down the spring adjusters before fitting the axle box keepers. fitting the wheels
With each wheel set  in turn was put into it's location the Axle Box Keepers fitted. wheels fitted
With the chassis the right way up and all the wheel set turn Kit 2 is now completed and shortly it will be taken off the stand as very soon the assembly will be too heavy for the make shift stand.

Make sure that you have installed the necessary 1/8" thick pieces of wood between the Axleboxes and Keeps as fitting them when the eccentrics are fitting is difficult as I know as I did not fit as told in the build instructions.
kit 2 completed
Click for Kit 1     Click for Kit 3